Monday, January 12, 2009

UNBIBLICAL

When we deem or say that something is unbiblical, what is really meant? Can something be considered unbiblical simply because we feel it's wrong?, or does the term "unbiblical" have to mean that something goes against what the bible clearly states. The fact that we can "derive" from the bible that A, B, and C are wrong can be seen as mere personal interpretation rather than universal truth. So where does one draw the line? What can be agreed on? Should there be a standard? Hopefully there isn't one apart from the word itself. This thought came to me in church on sunday.


2 Comments:

At 11:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good thought. I've had it before myself.

The way I use the term - and the way I hope others use the term - is only, stricly as "that something goes against what the bible clearly states".

There are a host of issues in the Bible which are unclear so I would hope in those circumststances we would not use the term "unbiblical" but would find a less dogmatic term... obviously, less dogmatic circumstances require less dogmatic terms.

:-)

Biblical interpretation. It kind of blows my mind!

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger MSM said...

Thanks for the comment, I agree that any moral grey areas we encounter can't just be labeled "unbiblical", maybe we should invent a dogmatic term for those circumstances... like "Biblically Biased Opinion" aka BBO.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home